The major scientific interest of the interdisciplinary research in OMD is covered by three main topics (see icon) – molecular self-assembly, flexible electronics and organic-inorganic hybrids.
The OMD research approach contributes to:
- basic synthesis of functional molecules and NPs,
- new device concepts based on SAMs and NPs,
- fundamentals in hierarchical- and region-selective self-assembly from 1D to 3D,
- advanced characterization methods of monolayers,
- advanced simulation of morphology and intermolecular interaction in complex SAM assemblies,
- smart and sustainable processing concepts for thin films,
- higher integrated devices for flexible electronics based on SAMs and NPs,
- complex mixed mono- and multilayers on NP-surfaces and related properties,
- functional superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles (SPIONs) for applications in medicine and environmental technologies (e.g. remediation of oil, toxins, herbicides or nanoplastic from water).